Craig Tribal Association
1330 Craig - Klawock Highway
P.O. Box 828
Craig, AK 99921-0828
Your Subtitle text

Food Program

Food Distribution Program

Scheduled Office Hours

9:00 am - 11:00 am



How Do I Apply?

Applications for the Food Distribution Program are available only in selected communities in Alaska. Households may file an application on the same day they contact the tribal agency Food Distribution Program in their community. For more information please contact your local Food Distribution Office.

What is the Food Distribution Program?

The Food Distribution Program is a federal program that provides commodity foods to low-income American Indian and Non-Indian households residing on a reservation or in a federally recognized (Alaska Native) tribal village, or households living in approved areas which contain at least one member of a federally recognized tribe.
Eligible households are certified based on income and resource standards set by the federal government, and must be recertified at least every 12 months.
The first federally recognized tribes to introduce the Food Distribution Program in Alaska in 2007 were: Akiak, Alakanuk, Chitina, Hydaburg, Kongiganak, Hamilton, Nenana, Nunuam Iqua, Old Harbor, Seldovia and Stebins

What Foods Does the Program Offer   

Each month participating households receive a food package to help them maintain a nutritionally balanced diet.  Participants may select from over 70 products including:

        Fresh Produce Introduced Fall 2010 

  • Canned fruits and vegetables
  • Canned soups and spaghetti sauce
  • Macaroni and cheese; pastas; cereals; rice and other grains
  • Cheese; egg mix; nonfat dry and evaporated milk
  • Flour; cornmeal; bakery mix ;and reduced sodium crackers
  • Low-fat refried beans; dried beans; and dehydrated potatoes
  • Canned juices and dried fruit
  • Peanuts and peanut butter
  • Low fat buttery spread and vegetable oil

The Food Distribution Program offers recipes and preparation tips to help participants make nutritious use of the commodity foods. In addition, basic nutrition and proper storage information are provided. This information can be accessed online over the Internet at:

Additional nutritional education material and information can be found at:


Households are required to report the following changes within ten (10) days of the date the change becomes known to the household:

          Changes in income which would affect program eligibility
     All changes in household composition, such as the addition or loss of a household member

     When cash on hand, stocks, bonds, and money in the bank or savings institution reach or exceed a total of $2000.00 (or $3000 for all households if at least one member is 60 years or older)

    Failure to report any changes may result in a household, receiving food they were not entitled to receive, having a claim filed against them for the value of food received.



Household members are NOT permited to participate in both the Food Stamp Program and the Food Distribution Program at the same time. Dual participation is prohibited. Any household found guilty of an intentional program violation (IPV) will be disqualified from both programs for 12 months.


Individuals who disagree with any action taken on their case have the right to request a fair hearing. You or your representative may request a fair hearing in writing or orally.
 If you request a fair hearing, your case may be presented by a household member or representative, such as a legal counsel, a relative, a friend or other spokesperson.
 To request a fair hearing, call or write the program. You have 90 days from the date of the action to request a fair hearing.
USDA LogoUnited States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service
"In accordance with Federal las and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from descriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability"
To file a complaint of dicrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil RIghts, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Website Builder